Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to be a UCI alumnus to join Anteaters Against Alzheimer’s?
- No. Anyone interested in supporting Alzheimer’s research can join. The Movement includes, but is not limited to, UCI students, staff, faculty, alumni, parents, retirees, and emeriti. Help grow the movement by inviting your family and friends to get involved.
What will my donation support?
- Your donation will directly support innovative Alzheimer’s research at UCI MIND. For example, your contribution could help advance clinical trials of promising new treatments or preventions for Alzheimer’s disease. Or, it could help advance laboratory science, such as the use of induced pluripotent stem cells or mouse models to better understand Alzheimer’s disease and identify potential treatment targets in people. Any amount has the potential to move UCI MIND researchers closer toward ridding the world of Alzheimer’s disease.
Why should I support Alzheimer’s research? (instead of another area of research at UCI)?
- Alzheimer’s disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States affecting more than 5 million people and costing our healthcare system $250 billion annually. These numbers are projected to triple by 2050, unless we do something to stop it. The only way to end Alzheimer’s disease is through rigorous, innovative research aimed to identify its cause and develop ways to prevent or treat it. Cancer and HIV/AIDS were once a death sentence. Alzheimer’s disease doesn’t have to be. Research is the answer. Help us make memories last a lifetime.
I’ve joined the Anteaters Against Alzheimer’s Movement. How else can I help?
- There are many ways to support Alzheimer’s research. Consider doing one or more of the following:
- DONATE: Click here to donate to Anteaters Against Alzheimer’s. Can’t make a monetary donation at this time? Consider donating a new or used iPod to Music for the MIND.
- PARTICIPATE: We are always in need of people with and without memory concerns to participate in innovative clinical studies at UCI. To learn more, contact 949.824.0008 or join the UCI C2C Registry to be matched with studies for which you may be eligible. The C2C is free, confidential, and carries no obligation to participate in a study. It just lets UCI researchers know you’re willing to learn more about a study.